Saturday, March 19, 2011

3DS Reviews Are Streamin' In


In the first of big North American Nintendo 3DS reviews, IGN.COM fires off on the latest handheld. Their wrap up -

"The 3DS is truly a remarkable device and a compelling expansion to Nintendo's handheld gaming platform, but it is far from perfect. Though the 3D experience has its moments of absolute brilliance, it can be short-lived due to the imprecise nature of glasses-free 3D technology, with distortion, ghosting, and user discomfort. The 3D also takes its toll on the device's battery life, which limits total gameplay time to anywhere between two to five hours. But despite its technical shortcomings, Nintendo's innovative software is what truly makes the 3DS a compelling device. Though the launch lineup is devoid of any landmark titles and many larger games like Kid Icarus and Zelda won't release until later this year, there is plenty of fun to be had between the pre-installed AR applications and games like Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition and PilotWings Resort. There is also the issue of price. The Nintendo 3DS has an MSRP of $249.99 – no small sum – and many may find it hard to justify given the currently limited 3DS software lineup, poor battery performance, and the certainty of future hardware revisions, but for purists, it's a small price to pay for getting into Nintendo's glasses-free 3D gaming revolution at the ground level."

Wow! That about sums up and confirms my love and fear of the device. I'm excited for it, yet at the same time I have a concern about it's shape. I've never been a fan from the original DS to the DSi of their overall design, there is something that is just so damn uncomfortable in my hands. How the edges of the system just dig into your palm, providing discomfort. I was hoping the 3DS would have been a total re-design, to fix this issue and provide a fresh new start.

Nope.

As for games, I know I am definitely picking up Madden and Ridge Racer. I'm not sure about other titles. I love Dead or Alive, but we'll see. I ain't getting Street Fighter IV. Hell No! Too bad for me, it's the killer app for the launch. Capcom did it. Not even Nintendo is coming out with a killer app for their hardware this time. Street Fighter is friggin' button mashin' fighter, the last thing I wanna be is absolutely pissed off playing a handheld game. No way. Not on launch.

No comments: